Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Nectar of Instruction

We’re a do it yourself culture. Venerating the self-made man/woman, abiding in single-family homes, and even celebrating Independence Day, Americans have a love affair with self-sufficiency. But is independence all it’s cracked up to be? Maybe we could learn from other cultures who acknowledge that everything is a group effort and that our individuality is an illusion.

I bring this up as a result of my recent foray into martial arts. After an initial exposure in grade-school to Taekwondo, which I abandoned as soon as middle school started, I have had a sincere interest in hand-to-hand combat. I personally found this to be odd as I never actually got into fights; I just liked imagining that I was a reincarnation of Bruce Lee.

(*Warning, you are about to be exposed an extreme level of nerdiness!!!)

After reading the Manga series Shamo my latent desire blossomed into an obsession. The opportunity to participate in a Krav Maga class set off a firestorm of activity. Before me or then fiancée (now wife) knew it, I was sparring, disarming, and throwing combos like they were going out of style. I also had the fortune to be under the tutelage of an instructor who deeply cared about his students.

Since then, I have relocated to a big city where there are many many martial arts schools. As a writer for Examiner.com I have had the privilege of visiting several of them and have noticed a powerful constant at work. Did I mention that during all my years of yearning to be a martial artist I really was trying to learn martial arts? I was also trying to do it on my own, by myself, flying solo. Guess what? It got me nowhere!

In Eastern culture, there is a strict student-teacher hierarchy. This contradicts the “everyone is equal” attitude here in the States, but when a master accepts a student into his tutelage he is also conferring upon him/her the accumulated wisdom and experience of a lifetime. The disciple, in turn, accepts the nectar of instruction by practicing humility and discipline towards the master.

In witnessing and experiencing this type of relationship first-hand, I firmly believe that this is still a valid method of learning. Yes, study, observe, and work on your own, but also allow yourself to receive help from others who may have much to offer.

Great things can be accomplished when we work together!

No comments:

Post a Comment