Saturday, August 15, 2009

"Healthy"?

Workout more, eat healthier, network, be productive, go go go!!! As a fitness professional, much of my time and energy is invested into figuring out ways to get people moving. Of course, I practice what I preach, so I’m on the go from sun-up to sun-down planning, pumping up, writing, and working. Being extremely passionate about fitness has served me well, but I do recognize that I am walking a fine line. How much exercise is enough? How much of a focus on healthy foods is healthy? When does productivity need to take a holiday?

Obsession and addiction can manifest in many different ways. For some it is gambling, shopping, over-eating, drinking, or drugs. Our cultural conversation dubs these habits “unhealthy” while being a workaholic, over exercising, and nit-picking food ingredient labels are considered “healthy”. It is no more justifiable to deem someone “flawed” due to their eating/exercise habits than to indict them for practicing another religion. I can personally attest to passing easy judgment on people who smoke or “eat crap”, but when I entertain these thoughts, it means that I am the one who needs a gut-check. While uncomfortable and challenging, looking into my own heart and rooting out the source of my feelings is the only way to truly grow.

Yes, exercise is good for your health. Yes, eating fresh whole foods nourishes your body. Yes, having passion and drive are important for achieving goals and dreams. However, these “healthy” habits become unhealthy when they cloud the big picture. In the grand scheme of things, our own body, mind, and spirit are primary. I believe that if we are committed to bringing out the best in ourselves we are much more capable of helping others when it is appropriate. Addiction and obsession are rooted in fear and a need to control. Just because our society labels an addition “healthy” doesn’t make it so. Living our lives with a sense of balance, compassion, and understanding will serve us more than forcing our beliefs on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment