Friday, September 18, 2009

Quiet Strength

Screams and shouts that would curdle milk echo through the iron jungle. Its denizens struggle, huffing, puffing, and straining; bloodshot eyes bulging, and, through the skin, every muscle, tendon, and sinew etched in stark relief. If you’ve ever been to a gym and seen the sweating masses, thoroughly brainwashed by The Governator, Joe Weider, and action movies, you’ve witnessed this scene firsthand. We’ve come to equate strength with strain, and, in this club, patched hernias are worn like a badge of honor. Ironically, icons of sport, both Olympic and professional, such as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, and Roger Federer make it look easy. Sure, they are focused, powerful, and intense, but there is a definite rhythm and flow to their movements.

I found myself reflecting on this as I worked out today. During a particularly painful set of squats I allowed myself to relax and focus on my breathing. Releasing the tension in my neck and face, I refocused my energies entirely on the form of my squat. Range of motion increased, and I completed my repetition goal. Later, I practiced a handstand, and discovered that relaxing allowed me to find my center of balance even while inverted. Straining, holding my breath, and generally forcing the movement in defiance of gravity left me on my back, beaten and battered.

Straining seems to fit pretty well into the American work ethic. If something doesn’t turn out the way you want, don’t accept it, try harder. If someone doesn’t listen to you, talk louder. Unhappy with your life? Spend more money. Don’t like someone else’s way of life? Start a war. Sure this is a simplistic reduction of our culture, but it at least partially rings true. Reactiveness, egoism, and ignorance more often than not, trump responsiveness, selflessness, and understanding. But I digress.

Back to the topic of exercise, contrary to the gasket-blowing exertions of American exercisers, the Chinese have discovered that strength can be concealed in softness. The concept of “iron and silk” is primary to the art of Tai Chi and it refers to the notion that a relaxed body, a focused mind, and open senses can, when called upon, generate uncommon strength.

Additional practices, such as deep breathing, Yoga, and other mind-body systems can also foster the ability to relax under pressure. Benefits in life outside of exercise notwithstanding, learning to relax will lead to a boost in sports performance and reduction in injuries. Tense tight muscles fight against each other and prohibit the complete coordination required to excel in athletics. The ability to learn new techniques can also be improved as impatience and frustration give way to persistence and determination.

So, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment