Friday, September 4, 2009

Discipline? Fun?

Yes, I write a daily “to do” list. There is something powerful about transforming an abstract idea into a tangible scribble of ink on paper. The act seems to create an urgency that doesn’t exist in my head. I tend to be a little ambitious too. For example, I may jot down multiple PFGs (personal fitness goals), writing objectives, and various other consumption based activities that will force me to stretch what is possible for daily allotment of time.

Scratching off completed goals feels even better than writing them down. Working my way down the list I relish in the obliteration of a completed goal that is now a reality. Committing to seeing my goals come into fruition is essential to my own self-discipline. It is, in a sense, the internalization of “the parent”, an archetypal authority figure.

Yet, my inner child occasionally scoffs. Too much discipline may lead to a melt-down worthy of an enraged toddler. The crying, flailing of fists, and other external signs of anguish may not be there, but inside, the tantrum is alive and kicking. So what do I do? I make it fun.

For example, today I wrote down a goal of “60 minutes of cardio”. Usually, this takes place on an elliptical machine or a treadmill, but tonight, meh. I couldn’t bring myself to zoning out for an hour on a human hamster wheel. Fortunately I was in luck. A youngish fellow came into the fitness center where I work and asked if he could work on his break dancing moves. It took all of 10 minutes before I asked him if he could teach me how to do what he was doing. Approximately an hour later, I had a primordial “6-step”, “3-step”, and some “top-rocking” options. Did I get my cardio in? Yes! Did I have fun? Hell yes!

So is it important to be disciplined? Of course. Does the process need to be soul-crushing? No, it does not. Have fun with your exercise, try new things, play, enjoy life, and be fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment